Barbecue Beef Sirloin | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Barbecue Beef Sirloin, Grilled Onions and Caramelised Onion Broth
Chris Holland Barbecue Beef Sirloin, Grilled Onions and Caramelised Onion Broth Beef
- COOK TIME: 2 hours
- PREP TIME: 1 hour
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 4
Sirloin of beef
- 600g of sirloin of beef
- 20ml of kecap manis
- 6 white onions, large, sliced into rounds (keep the rings intact)
- 20ml of vegetable oil
- 1l chicken stock
- 1l water
- 10g of kuzu
- 12 grelot onions
- 50ml of olive oil
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Martin Wishart from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 65⁰C.
- To make the onion broth, remove the skins from the onions and chop into rounds 1 inch in thickness, cutting horizontally so that the onion rings remain intact. Using a brush, lightly coat both sides of the onion slices with oil and sprinkle over a little salt.
- Lay the onion slices flat on the base of a saucepan. Cook them over a low heat until dark brown underneath, then flip over and continue cooking until the other side is similarly caramelised.
- Place the chicken stock in another saucepan, add the water and heat until boiling. Add the onions and simmer gently. Reduce until there is only about 400ml of liquid remaining.
- Remove from the heat and pour through a fine sieve to strain. Allow to cool, then mix in the kuzu and reheat. Boil until the liquid thickens and season to taste. Keep the broth warm until ready to serve.
- For the barbecue beef sirloin, begin by seasoning the meat with salt and pepper.
- Using a chamber sealer set to full pressure, seal the seasoned beef inside a vacuum bag. Cook the bag in the water bath for approximately 35 minutes. The meat is cooked when the core temperature reaches 55⁰C; you can check this using a needle probe.
- While the beef is cooking, cook the grelot onions. To do this, fill a large pan with salted water and heat until boiling. Add the onions and simmer for 2-3 minutes until soft. Drain and set the cooked onions aside.
- Take the cooked beef sirloin out of the vacuum bag and lightly coat with the kecap manis. Using a preheated barbeque or grill, cook the meat for 4 minutes on each side.
- While the beef is grilling, drizzle olive oil over the grelot onions and add them to the barbecue. Cook until lightly browned all over.
- To plate, slice the barbecued beef into four pieces. Take four bowls and pour a quarter of the onion broth into each, then add a slice of beef and top with three grilled grelot onions.