Sous Vide Beef & Ale Cupcake Pies | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Beef & Ale Cupcake Pies
Chris Holland Sous Vide Beef & Ale Cupcake Pies Recipes Sous Vide, Beef, Ale, Pies, steak, hearty, pub, buffet, easy english
- COOK TIME: 16 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 8
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sprig of Thyme
- 500g Scotch Braising Beef
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 6 Chestnut Mushrooms diced
- 1 garlic clove , grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500ml beef stock/broth
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp beef Bovril
- 1/2 bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt , plus more to taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 egg yolk , lightly beaten
- Ready to roll Shortcrust
- Ready to roll Puff Pastry
Back to Recipes
Recipe kindly written and photographed by Scott Eckersley
- Brown the meat in a hot pan with some oil and the Thyme.
- Take a vac pack and inside place the beef, 1 tbsp of the miso and 1 tbsp of the Bovril. Vac and seal then leave to marinate for 4 hours in the fridge.
- Using your Sous Vide heat a water bath to 60 degrees and put the beef in and cook for 16 Hours.
- Next we want to make the sauce to coat that soft gorgeous meat in.
- In a large frying pan or wide base pan, get oil up to temp and cook the onions, pepper and salt, let this sweat down then add to the pan the mushrooms and garlic.
- Once slightly browning on the edges add the miso, bovril and tomato paste mixing all the ingredients to get a good coating and let them start to catch slightly on the pan getting that milliard reaction and adding depth to the flavour, once this is happening stir in the stock and ale allowing all the liquid to come to the boil.
- Once at boiling point turn down to a slow rumble and let the liquid reduce by half.
- As the consistency starts to get glossier mix together the cornstarch with 2 tbsp of cold water, reduce the heat and stir in the mixture until it starts to thicken.
- Leave to cool.
- Grease a cupcake tin or moulds with butter, cut the shortcrust pastry to size and place into the moulds leaving an overlapping edge at the top.
- Take your meat from the sous vide and drain away the juices, take the meat and put in to the pan with the sauce and coat evenly starting to break up the chunks.
- Take the combined filling and start to spoon into the shortcrust lined moulds until just at the top. Make an egg wash up and start to put around the overlap edges and with a cutter cut a lid from the puff pastry and place the lids on top of the filling, gently pressing to try to join the top with the casing.
- Pierce the lids 2 times with a small knife.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven at 180C/350F for 20 to 25 minutes until a deep golden brown.