Chocolate Chilli Barbecue Sauce | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Chocolate Chilli Barbecue Sauce
- 60 ml safflower oil or other high-heat cooking oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 dried chilies
- 1 dried New Mexico chili
- 4 ½ ounces (128 grams) tomato paste
- 60 ml molasses / black treacle
- 50 grams packed brown sugar
- 60 ml apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon/ 5 ml/ ground coriander
- 60 ml fresh lemon juice (plus zest of 1 lemon)
- 60 ml fresh lime juice (plus zest of 1 lime), divided
Although this isn’t strictly speaking a sous vide recipe, we here at Sous Vide HQ like to spice things up now and then – and what better way than with this delicious sauce that would be perfect to add a little spice to sous vide recipes for barbecued ribs, chicken, and burgers. *Warning* Drooling may commence immediately!
Makes about 500ml
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, this will take around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the stems and remove the seeds of the dried chillies. If you’re brave and like a little more heat, feel free to leave the seeds intact. Pop the chillies in a heatproof bowl and pour enough hot water over the top to cover them, allowing them to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water from the chillies into a bowl / measuring jug and transfer the softened chillies to a blender with 120 ml of the chilli water. Whizz the mixture until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the chilli paste and all of the remaining ingredients–except for 30 ml of the lime juice and the lime zest–to the onion mixture. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, reduce to a low bubble and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool until it reaches room temperature, then stir in the remaining lime juice and the zest; once that is done, pop into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use!