Macerated Strawberries & Yoghurt Parfait | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Macerated Strawberries, Yoghurt Parfait, Pistachio and Basil
Chris Holland Macerated Strawberries, Yoghurt Parfait, Pistachio and Basil Desserts
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 12 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 6
- 50g of icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 200g of English strawberries
- 6 egg yolks
- 180g of sugar
- 120ml of water
- 15g of yoghurt powder
- 190g of double cream
- 100g of glucose
- 100g of water
- 100g of sugar
- 100g of strawberry purée
- pistachio nuts, Iranian, peeled
- 200g of sugar
- 100g of water
- 1 bunch of basil
- basil cress
- 1 tbsp of yoghurt powder
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Paul Foster from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- First, prepare the strawberry tuile. Mix together the sugar, water and glucose in a saucepan over a medium heat. When the sugar has completely dissolved, add the strawberry purée and spoon the mixture onto a plastic mat, spreading it out as thinly and evenly possible. Dry overnight in a dehydrator.
- To make the yoghurt parfait, whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks. Chill in the fridge until required.
- Heat the sugar and the water in a small saucepan and bring up to a temperature of 121⁰C. While the sugar is coming up to temperature, beat the egg yolks using an electric mixer until pale and increased in volume.
- When the sugar reaches 121⁰C, remove the pan from the heat and gradually drizzle the syrup onto the egg yolks with the electric mixer running. Keep whisking until all the sugar has been added and the mixture is approximately room temperature, then mix in the yoghurt powder and the lightly whipped cream using a gentle folding action. When the cream is fully incorporated, set the parfait in freezer.
- Next, prepare the pistachio crumb. Tip half the nuts into a small saucepan, add just enough water to cover and cook until the liquid starts to boil, then remove from the heat and leave to soak for 1 hour.
- To make the basil caramel, place the sugar in a saucepan, add half the water and cook over a medium heat until a golden caramel has formed. Reduce the temperature by pouring in the remaining water and mix in the stalks from the bunch of basil. Leave to infuse.
- For the macerated strawberries, combine the icing sugar and the vanilla seeds. Halve the strawberries and lightly coat them with the sugar.
- Arrange the strawberries in a single layer on a plate inside the vacuum chamber. Vacuum on full pressure 2 or 3 times to compress the fruit.
- To serve, divide the strawberries between 6 plates, drizzle with the basil caramel and top with a few poached pistachios. Take a neat spoonful of set parfait and coat all over with ground pistachio, then add to the plate. Snap the dried strawberry tuile into shards and insert a few into each pile of strawberries. Finish the dessert with a garnish of basil cress and a dusting of yoghurt powder.