Melon Ball Madness Cocktail with Compressed Melon Garnish | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Melon Ball Madness Cocktail with Compressed Melon Garnish
- COOK TIME: 20
- PREP TIME: 10
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 8
150ml white Rum (Bacardi Carta Blanca works fine) (37.5% abv)
50ml Midori Liqueur (20% abv)
50g Demerara sugar.
25g chopped fresh ginger.
1 Honeydew Melon
Simon from The Blind Bus Driver Kendal has been busy creating some cracking little cocktails experimenting with compressed fruit garnishes and was kind enough to let us share them with you. This one needs a chamber vacuum packer to achieve the compression.
- Put all the ingredients except the melon into a pouch and seal.
- Pre-heat sous vide device to 60 degrees C
- Once to temperature add to the bath for 20 minutes. Give it a shake every 5 minutes to dissolve the sugar and better infuse the ginger.
- Whilst cooking scoop out the melon flesh with a melon baller to make melon balls
- Remove the pouch from the bath and chill in iced water. Will store in the fridge for a month.
- Divide the melon balls into pouches and cover with the syrup
- Vacuum seal the pouches on a extended vacuum. The melon will get firmer and greener when its compressed
- The balls keep pretty well in the fridge for up to a week. If they become too soft to use, whizz them up with a stick blender, filter and use for fruit salad dressings or a syrup for Tiki cocktails. there is no need to waste any of these.
Simon chilled and diluted the left over syrup to make a scrumptious cocktail and served the compressed melon balls as a garnish