Pheasant | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
- DIFFICULTY: Advanced
- SERVES: 2
- 2 Pheasant breasts
- 50g Pancetta or bacon fat
- 1 Thyme sprig
- 100g Girolles mushrooms — or any wild variety
- 50g Butter
Sous vide cooking pheasant produces something so tender and moist that you’ll be tempted to sneak a bit while it’s resting.
- Pre-heat your water bath to 62°C.
- Place the pheasant breasts and pancetta/bacon fat into a pouch, along with the thyme, and vac-seal.
- Put the pouch into your water bath for 35 minutes.
- Keep checking the water bath to make sure the water is covering the pouch.
- Remove the pheasant from the pouch and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Colour the pheasant in a pan, skin side down only, until crispy.
- Now, add the girolles to the pan, along with a tablespoon of butter, and allow to foam — glazing the pheasant and mushrooms with the butter.
- Remove the pheasant from pan and let it rest for 4 minutes.
- Carve and serve.
Chef’s Tip –
Use chestnuts for a sauce, quince can be used as a purée or butternut squash is great as well.