Rum-poached Pineapple with Coconut Lime Sorbet | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Rum-poached Pineapple with Coconut Lime Sorbet
Chris Holland Rum-poached Pineapple with Coconut Lime Sorbet Desserts Rum,poached ,Pineapple ,Coconut ,Lime, Sorbet,dessert ,sweet,fruit, english / french / traditional /
- COOK TIME: 45 Minutes
- PREP TIME: 8 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 10
- 2 pineapples
- 1l pineapple juice
- 500g of passion fruit purée
- 100ml of Malibu
- 4 vanilla pods
- 8 star anise
- 400ml of coconut milk
Coconut lime sorbet
- 1kg coconut purée
- 150g of sugar
- 230g of water
- 40g of lime juice
- 1 lime, zeste
- 100g of coconut purée
- 200g of whipping cream
- desiccated coconut
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of chef Graham Hornigold from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- For the coconut lime sorbet, place the coconut purée, sugar, water, lime juice and zest in a large mixing bowl and stir until fully combined
- Churn the sorbet mixture in an ice cream maker, then spoon into a freezer-proof container and store in the freezer until needed.
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 70⁰C.
- Next, prepare the poached pineapple. Begin by combining the pineapple juice, passion fruit purée, Malibu, vanilla, star anise and coconut milk in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until a syrup has formed.
- Remove the peel from one of the pineapples. Quarter the flesh, cutting out and discarding the core, and place the pieces in a vacuum bag or, if they are very large, divide them between 2 vacuum bags. Measure out 200ml of poaching syrup into each bag, then seal.
- Repeat step 5 with the second pineapple.
- Place the sealed vacuum bags in the water bath and leave to cook until the pineapple is translucent and tender but still firm enough to hold its shape. This should take about 30 minutes.
- For the coconut sauce, combine the coconut purée and whipping cream in a large bowl, whisking until the mixture forms soft peaks. Chill in the fridge until required
- Unseal the vacuum bags containing the cooked pineapple and drain the fruit, allowing the poaching liquid to collect in a bowl. Chop the fruit into equally sized small pieces.
- To serve, cover the base of each plate with a thin layer of coconut cream and create a small mound of desiccated coconut in the centre. Place a quenelle of coconut lime sorbet on top of the desiccated coconut and scatter a few chunks of pineapple around the plate. Finish with a drizzle of the reserved poaching liquid.