Sous Vide mushrooms, caramelised celeriac, remoulade and thyme | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide mushrooms, caramelised celeriac, remoulade and thyme
Chris Holland Sous Vide mushrooms, caramelised celeriac, remoulade and thyme Vegetables and Sides
- COOK TIME: 1 Hour
- PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- SERVES: 2
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp picked thyme leaves
- 50ml Madeira wine
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and microplaned
- 1 celeriac, peeled
- 50g butter
- 100ml milk
- 1 tbsp créme fraiche
- 1 tbsp good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper
Back to Recipes
- Preheat the water bath to 70⁰C
- Heat a pan on the stove and pour in the madeira. Add thyme to infuse. Heat on high for 5 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half and has reached a syrup like consistency.
- Turn down the heat and begin to add the butter. Whisk until melted.
- Take the celeriac, peel then chop off the edges, leaving you with a square. Slice the square then julienne the celeriac for the remoulade. Chop the trimmed edges for the puree.
- Heat 50g butter in a pan. Once melted, add the chopped celeriac and season with salt. Allow to caramelize.
- Peel the outer layer of the mushrooms and remove the stalk. Transfer to a large vacuum pouch. Grate a little garlic into the madeira mix and then pour into the pouch with the mushrooms.
- Use a vacuum sealer to seal the pouch and then transfer to the preheated water bath and allow to sous vide for 60 minutes
- Return to your pan of chopped celeriac, when caramelized add 100ml of milk then remove from the heat and blitz. Pass it through a fine sieve to remove any lumps.
- Transfer the puree to a pan and keep on a very low heat to keep warm until the mushrooms are ready.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients then add to the julienned celeriac
- Remove the cooked mushrooms from the water bath and put under the grill for 10 minutes.
- To arrange the dish, spoon some of the hot celeriac puree onto the plate. Add the mushrooms then top with the remoulade. Finally, add a little thyme cress
For a full instructional video on how to create this and other delicious vegetarian sous vide dishes, please see below.