Sous Vide Squid Tagliatelle and Cep Ragu | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Squid Tagliatelle, Cep Ragu and Wild Horseradish
Chris Holland Sous Vide Squid Tagliatelle, Cep Ragu and Wild Horseradish Fish and Seafood
- COOK TIME: 1 Hour
- PREP TIME: 1 hour
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 2
- 1 squid, jumbo – rough 30cm x 6cm
- 300g of dried ceps
- 2 ceps, medium, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 banana shallot, brunoise
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 50ml of sherry vinegar
- 400ml of brown chicken stock
- 100g of butter
King Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 king oyster mushrooms, large
- horseradish, wild and peeled
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Paul Foster from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Make the cep powder by blitzing the dried ceps in a blender. Store in a small muslin bag until needed.
- For the squid tagliatelle, first wash and gut the squid, then slice the body into large flat pieces. On a tray, stack the slices one on top of the other to make piles that are six slices in height. Cover with a taut layer of cling film and freeze. Leave in the freezer until needed.
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 58⁰C.
- Use a meat slicer to shave thin slices off the stacks of squid, creating tagliatelle-like ribbons of meat. Seal the ribbons inside a vacuum pouch and place in the water bath. Leave to cook sous vide for 8-10 minutes, then remove from the bath and plunge immediately into iced water.
- To make the cep ragu, melt a little butter in a saucepan, add the diced ceps and fry until they start to soften. Stir in the shallots and thyme and use the sherry vinegar to deglaze the pan. Mix in the chicken stock and set the ragu aside to cool.
- Slice the king oyster mushrooms into thin slivers using a meat slicer or mandolin, then cut the slivers lengthways to create thin ribbons resembling tagliatelle.
- Reheat the cep ragu in a saucepan on the stove top. When it has warmed through, take it off the heat and add the ribbons of squid and mushroom. Return to the stove top and heat very gently until cooked through, making sure that the temperature does not exceed 58⁰C.
- To serve, divide the tagliatelle between two bowls. Top with finely grated wild horseradish and a dusting of cep powder. Garnish with watercress and serve.