Sous Vide Turkey Breast | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Turkey Breast, Red Cabbage, Pear Tarte Tatin, Gorgonzola, Chestnut
Chris Holland Sous Vide Turkey Breast, Red Cabbage, Pear Tarte Tatin, Gorgonzola, Chestnut Poultry
- COOK TIME: 3 hours
- PREP TIME: 1 hour
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 2
- 1 turkey breast
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 50g of butter
- 1 pear
- 4 chestnuts, peeled and cooked
- baby basil
Red cabbage purée
- 1 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 50g of cranberries
- 100ml of ruby port
Pear tarte Tatin
- 1 pear, peeled
- 20g of butter
- 20g of caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- puff pastry, two circles ready rolled, about 10cm in diameter
- Sous Vide Water Bath
- Vacuum Bags
- Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of chef Shaun Rankin from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Preheat a water bath to a temperature of 68⁰C.
- Lay the turkey breast flat inside a vacuum bag, then place the garlic, thyme and about 1/3 of the butter on top of the meat. Vacuum the bag in a chamber sealer and place in the water bath. Leave to cook for 2 hours.
- For the red cabbage purée, place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil, the sliced red cabbage and the banana shallots. Sauté for 10 minutes, then stir in the cranberries and the port. Heat the mixture to boiling point, then simmer gently until the port has reduced to 1/4 of its original volume.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 180⁰C/gas mark 4.
- Make the pear tarte Tatin while the cabbage is braising. Halve the pear lengthways and scoop out the core. Melt the butter in a small ovenproof saucepan with the caster sugar and vanilla pod. Heat the mixture very gently until it forms a caramel.
- Lay the pear halves in the caramel (flat-side down). Place one puff pastry circle on top of each half, pressing it around the fruit to create a snug-fitting cover. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Tip the red cabbage mixture into a blender, reserving 6 of the cranberries for a garnish. Pulse the blender to produce a smooth purée, then press the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Unseal the vacuum bag containing the turkey and slice the breast in half. Melt the remaining butter in a large frying pan and add the turkey. Lightly brown the meat, spooning the foaming butter over it as it cooks.
- Remove the skin from the remaining pear and slice into segments, then lightly scorch using a blowtorch.
- To serve, position 1 portion of turkey and 1 pear tarte Tatin in the centre of each plate. Dot with Gorgonzola, scatter over the chestnuts, reserved cranberries and scorched pear segments and finish with a garnish of baby basil.