Sous Vide Vin Jaune Halibut | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Vin Jaune Halibut with Girolles and Grilled Grelot Onions
Chris Holland Sous Vide Vin Jaune Halibut with Girolles and Grilled Grelot Onions Fish and Seafood
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 2
- 2 halibut fillets, each weighing 140g
- 100g of sea salt
- 100g of sugar
- 50ml of vin jaune
Vin Jaune Sauce
- 150ml of vin jaune
- 100ml of chicken stock
- 250g of butter
- 20g of chives, chopped
- 100g of girolles mushrooms, cleaned
- 3 grelot onions, cut into 0.5cm slices
- nasturtium leaves
- 1 knob of butter
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Simon Hulstone from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 42⁰C.
- To poach the halibut, begin by combining the salt and the sugar in a bowl. Using a sharp knife, cut the halibut fillets into neat squares. Lightly coat the fillets with the salt and sugar mixture and leave for 10 minutes to cure.
- Using a chamber sealer, seal the cured halibut fillets inside individual vacuum bags (1 fillet per bag), adding half the vin jaune to each bag before sealing. Place the bags in the water bath and leave to cook sous vide for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the fillets from the bags and reserve the poaching liquid.
- For the sauce, add the vin jaune to the liquid from the vacuum bags. Heat the mixture in a saucepan until it has reduced by half, then stir in the chicken stock. Continue to heat until reduced by half again. Melt the butter into the mixture then whisk until a sauce-like consistency is reached. Using the salt and pepper, season to taste.
- Using a medium frying pan, quickly fry the girolles over a medium heat. When they become tender, add them into the vin jaune sauce and then stir in the chopped chives.
- Add the onions to a hot grill pan and chargrill until they soften and turn brown.
- To serve, pour half the sauce into the centre of each serving dish then add the grilled onion slices. Top with the poached halibut and a garnish of nasturtium leaves.