Sous Vide: Restaurant Quality Food During Self-Isolation | The Tool Shed
Sous Vide: Restaurant Quality Food During Self-Isolation
The unfortunate reality is that, over the coming months, many of us are going to be in self-isolation.
This sadly means that there’s going to be no eating out in our favourite restaurants for some time, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy restaurant-quality dishes from the comfort of your own home.
Even during isolation, we shouldn’t have to do without delicious dishes and we’re keen to share why sous vide is the perfect way to cook up a treat at home over the next few weeks and months.
We’ve rounded up the reasons why sous vide is perfect for self-isolation, including a number of our most-viewed guides and resources.
Why introduce sous vide into your kitchen during self-isolation?
We’re facing a long few months. However, here’s why you should introduce sous vide into your kitchen…
- It’s the perfect way to cook restaurant-quality dishes in the comfort of your own home. Sous Vide involves the process of vacuum sealing ingredients, before cooking at a very precise temperature; resulting in food which is cooked to the perfect level of doneness every single time… If you can’t go out for fine dining, why not bring it into your home?
- By vacuum sealing meat, veg and other produce before cooking, you’re extending its shelf-life by an extra 3 to 7 days. Reducing waste is so important, especially at a time like this, and sous vide can help to ensure you’re able to preserve food in a way that extends the shelf-life.
- It’s a great way to batch cook. Especially at this moment, time is precious. Batch cooking means cooking food in large quantities and is actually one of the best advantages that sous vide can bring to your home. Batch cooking simply makes your life easier at this difficult time. All you have to do is pop all of your ingredients in vacuum packed bags, put them into your water bath or container, and leave them to cook, freeing you up to crack on with whatever else you need to do! After the initial preparation, you could be set for the next few days, or even a couple of weeks, depending on how much you want to prep at once.It cuts down on wastage, and make sure that you get the most out of all of your ingredients.
- You’ll experience less shrinkage of meats when cooked sous vide, meaning you need a smaller starting weight to feed the family.
Chris Holland, Chef Director at SousVideTools.com comments, “Whether you are cooking or using vacuum packing for preservation, it is the perfect way to keep your fridge fresh and clean at this time.”
Must-read guides to get you started with sous vide…
If you’re ready to get started cooking sous vide, why not take a look at some of our handy guides which can help get you started:
- Sous Vide Batch Cooking: The Ultimate Guide
- The Best & Worst Foods To Cook Sous Vide
- How To Cook Sous Vide from Frozen
- Sous Vide: The Ultimate Guide
Hundreds of recipes for you to try out…
Don’t worry about finding recipes to try out. The Toolshed is home to hundreds of recipes that we’ve put together in conjunction with a fantastic team of professional chefs.
From meat and veg to desserts, fruits and even alcoholic beverages; there’s a recipe for everything.
A FREE app to accompany any sous vide device…
Our iVide app, available on both iOS and Android devices, brings you the most interactive sous vide app yet.
Simply choose the food you wish to cook and how you would like it cooked and our app will calculate the time and temperature needed. When used with our iVide device the app will then start cooking and keep you notified of when your food is ready.
More than 1 of our iVide devices? Our app is capable of multicooker, so you can control several devices at a time.
Rustled up something amazing with a few of your own tweaks but can’t remember what you did? We have cook history so you can recreate things again and again, also handy for our professional chefs who may need to reference back for the filling in of paperwork.
Don’t have one of our iVide cookers? Our app is the perfect partner to any sous vide device. Just use the calculator function to find the perfect cooking time and temperature and then input it into your own device and off you go.